Sunday, January 23, 2011

homework

I'm reading about Aztec art. It is some amazing stuff. Most of it was destroyed by the Spaniards. They had very elaborate gold and silver work that Spaniards melted down to make dumb stuff like coins.

Albrecht Durer said of the objects, "I have never seen in all my days that which so rejoiced my heart."

A rare saved page from the Codex Borgia
Coatlicue-The Goddess of Earth and Death.
She has a skirt made of serpents and jets of blood. She wears a necklace of amputated hands and hearts.
The myth goes that when Coatlicue was attacked and her head was servered off, her unborn child, Huitzilopochtli, rose from her severed trunk fully grown and armed.
Pretty badass stuff.

Coatlicue reminded me of this piece by Alexander McQueen.

No comments:

Post a Comment